The great heroes of our imagination often have powers that transcend normal human capacity. Although their fictional existence inspires and entertains us, we know that we could never achieve the level of skill or strength or power that they display. Ordinary heroes are different. We encounter them occasionally and they usually respond to the praise of others by saying, “I was just doing my job”. This six-part series will examine some lesser-known biblical heroes. Rather than being larger-than-life they are more like everyday heroes. They were people like us who opened themselves up to God’s work in them. And in that we’ll find that we can all be just as heroic in our faith.
- July 21 Shiphrah and Puah - Exodus 1:8-22 Courage. Fear God rather than man.
- July 28 Bezalel - Exodus 35:30-35 Integrity. Whatever you do, work at it with your whole being.
- Aug 4 Abigail - 1 Samuel 25:1-35 Wisdom. A soft answer turns away wrath.
- Aug 11 Barzillai - 2 Samuel 17:27-29 Generosity. Use worldly wealth to gain friends.
- Aug 18 Rhoda - Acts 12:5-19 Tenacity. Pray consistently and never give up.
- Aug 25 Tertius - Romans 16:1-27 Humility. He must increase, but I must decrease.